Fermented foods

Feel free to post here whatever you want!
Azra

Fermented foods

Unread postby Azra » 23 Sep 2023 19:55

I’ve been eating fermented yogurt for a while now and I’ve found it doesn’t effect the dairy intolerance I get from non-fermented dairy. The first time I tried it I got a small reaction but I haven’t since. Fermented foods like miso/pickles/kimchi/sauerkraut (most/all cultures have their own pickling recipes) are also known to be good ways to get probiotics into the gut (and these foods can reduce inflammation, though I’ve not noticed it particularly, but I don’t eat them very often). Bread like sourdough also uses a fermentation process and my gut prefers it (I’ve been eating it for several years and it is lighter on the digestion front). I tried kefir drinks a few times some years ago but would always get a bad reaction (yogurt/milk type drink). I know there are members here (and no doubt non members) who might benefit from testing these foods out (no guarantee that it’ll help in your individual case though). However, the chances are it could as it only has trace amounts of lactose and caseine. Fermentation converts lactose (milk sugars) into lactic acid (“good acid”). This is the way foods were prepared in the past until mass farming and supermarket food production cut it out (a more time consuming process). Cheeses like the blue veined ones fit into this category (I know, they stink :lol: ) too.

Additional note: I used to make/germinate sprouts from seeds (it somehow slipped out of my regime about 10 years ago). It also uses a fermenting process of sorts (heat to speed up a reaction, like yeast does). They are fun and quick to make (alfalfa, legumes and others) and tasty in salads :happy-sunshine:
Evo

Re: Fermented foods

Unread postby Evo » 24 Sep 2023 08:07

I've had good results i really like some flavors of kombucha, some not so much. Yogurt is a more common one for people. The plain probably having the most probiotic, It is very beneficial since it is the good bacteria
alc

Unread postby alc » 06 Oct 2023 00:15

:greetings-waveyellow:
Do somebody have experience with Fervida?
I never tried but seems Universal with many types.
Anton
Signature: A̛͂͐̾̈̊͐̓͑̎̚͏̶̢̞̟͉̻̲y̱̫͔̮͓͑̾̇̑̎ͨ̌̎ͫ̎̽̔̑͌̆̿͒̉͜͟y̭̯͖̱̳͔̞̞̤̲̰͔̣̱̘̿̓̿͌̍̽̐͗͋̅̅ͭ̋ͩͮ̑̋͐̕͝ͅ

Unread postby Anton » 07 Oct 2023 15:43

I just bought some Canephora Chakra Warmi Natural Anaerob. (Fermented coffee beans, Robusta) They taste amazing. Probiotics in general are pretty good and might be helpful for many.
Azra

Unread postby Azra » 09 Oct 2023 20:26

@Evo :greetings-wavingyellow: Nice! I thought of kombucha but it is less available than the others. Like you, I have found it a bit 'hit and miss' on the taste front. Plain yoghurt with raw honey :-D

@alc :angelic-sunshine: I'd just give it a try, it seems legit. If it's fermented properly you will probably feel some benefit after a few weeks, if eaten regularly.

@Anton :happy-sunshine: Mmm! I couldn't help but think of those other "chakras" but it means something altogether different :lol: I mentioned those who don't tolerate dairy as they will have less chance of suffering deficiencies. But, I agree, probiotics are good for all (they help clear out the damages that antibiotics cause in the gut, for example).

Return to “ALL UNSORTED TOPICS”