Contradictions in the Old Testament / Absurdities in the Bible

Feel free to post here whatever you want!
Allison

Contradictions in the Old Testament / Absurdities in the Bible

Unread postby Allison » 03 Jun 2017 06:49

I translated this post that was written by Nούφαρο in the German forum :smile:

I am often confronted with the fact that when people are searching for the truth, they often tend to confront me with the struggle between good and evil, which they suddenly feel for some unknown reason. They often redirect these feelings back to “god.”

These tendencies have led me to write this article. I would like to discuss some things that are usually ignored by religious people, such as the questions of why they think their “god” is light/good and how his “omniscience” and “mercy” are expressed.
Let’s take a closer look at the Bible. In school, the New Testament is described to us in detail and everyone has heard of Jesus, who is celebrated worldwide. It would be too hard to give all of the background information about Jesus in the Bible. Instead, I want to focus on some important parts of the Bible.
I’d like to talk about the betrayal to Jesus by Judas and the origins of some Bible stories, but I will have to explain those another day. For now, let’s look more closely at the true face of the “merciful god.”

Adam and Eve… Let’s get started. Imagine this: You have children, you put candy in front of their noses every day and you always tell them that they can't have it. What kind of parent would do that? The bowl of candy becomes the children’s most coveted object ever.

So, we can at least assume that “god” has accepted, perhaps even challenged Adam and Eve to go to the tree with the forbidden fruit, which then results in him punishing them for their “misconduct.” His motto seems to be, “Education is sometimes painful.”
This overpowering image of “god” seems to appear throughout the entire “holy” Bible.
It is very ironic that he or she always needs to prove his omnipotence.
A truly powerful being shouldn’t need to demonstrate their power over and over again.
Also, his narcissistic characteristics do not really match his “merciful” image.

His “thou shalt have no other gods before me” command is often used to represent “god” and is emphasized in the Bible many times. Abraham is told to sacrifice his own son and is then stopped at the last minute, just to prove his loyalty to “god”. What is learned from this? This lesson is very old-fashioned: Being “good”/loyal= reward. One may wonder why this omniscient “god” seems to have such a weak self-esteem and needs to suppress those weaker than him in order to prove that he is stronger than them. And he’s not even afraid to sacrifice others just to satisfy his ego and prove that he has much more power than Satan. This should’ve been clear to everyone at least when they read the story where “god” kicked Satan out of heaven because he wanted to be better than “god” and let him torment everyone on earth.
Religious people are taught to humbly endure mistreatment because his “god” is “good”.
There's also the story where the poor servant is forced to humbly endure mistreatment because his “god” is “good.” In the end, “god” shows gratitude and takes him to heaven. If people looked at this story for what it truly is, they would know that something’s definitely not right. Job (aka Hiob) died from his injuries. End of story. It's not surprising that it is hard for so many to support or understand beings like the Protoi when the image of man is so misplaced that they can’t even recognize the dark programming in this world.

Personally, I always find it funny to be abandoned because you work with your skills to help others, by the people who believe that an omnipotent and all-knowing god with the ego of a defiant toddler did not know that Cain would slay his brother Abel. And he even secretly created a whole nation for him so that he might find a woman for punishment. True believers are often in need of an explanation when one asks where these people came from, where Adam and Eve were the first people. But, after all, he was “merciful,” even though I can imagine a lot of people shake their heads after reading this story... And the same merciful god, in the wilderness immediately after the proclamation of his laws, executed half of his people because these laws (which were thought to have been STRAIGHTFORWARD), state that they should not make a portrait of him. Well... ignorance does not protect against punishment, I see. Was there not a rule somewhere that said you should not kill?

Most believe in this “merciful god” without ever knowing about the Old Testament and “practice” faith without even knowing the minimal background of this weapon system.

Moses wasn’t even allowed to enter the Promised Land because of a mistake. We realize that “god” is only nice until he is annoyed; then, he turns into an egomaniac that destroys everything that comes before his feet, including the people that lived in the Promised Land until then.
**Note from Allison: the “mistake” Moses made was striking a rock with his staff to make water flow out of it for his people. “God” then told him that he couldn’t enter the Promised Land (even though he led all of his people there) and killed him because Moses didn’t follow his directions and demonstrate the “glory of god” by telling “god” to make the water come out of the rock for the people, even though Moses had done everything to show and prove his “glory” beforehand (by using “god’s” power to cause the plagues in Egypt and give food and water to his people, etc.)**

I could quote different stories from the Bible that don’t match religions’ portrayal of their “merciful god” for hours.

Well, the worst story is when he flooded the entire world because a few of his "angels" were naughty and had children with human women. It also makes sense. Children do that too... If they can’t fit a stone into a castle they’re trying to build, they will throw the whole castle off the table in a tantrum. That’s how it is supposed to be!
I could quote many stories from the Bible that don’t match churches’ portrayals of their “god” for hours on end, from innocent women who are being accused by a village of protecting angels from being raped (where was the “omnipotent god’s” attempt to stop this?) to other anecdotes that turn “god’s compassionate” personality into a very disturbed, sadistic personality, but for now this should be enough to make everyone think.
Last edited by Allison on 03 Jun 2017 23:15, edited 1 time in total.
peppermint

Re: Contradictions in the Old Testament / Absurdities in the Bible

Unread postby peppermint » 03 Jun 2017 07:20

Good post!

Reminds me of reading about 'ACoNs' (Adult Children of Narcissists) stories of their narcissistic parents, and the twisted , irrational things the parents would do/say , just to seem powerful/superior , really damaging their children!

Return to “ALL UNSORTED TOPICS”